As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Friday, September 18, 2026

Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron

Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron

View from the balcony of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron

I have loved The Sound of Music ever since I was a little girl.  I have happy memories of eating waffles on Sunday night with my family, the Sound of Music playing in the kitchen as we ate.  For as long as I can remember, I have known the words to every song, loved every character, and I've been in love with this classic love story.  In 2024 I had the amazing opportunity to visit Salzburg, and visit most of the filming sites from the Sound of Music.  One of the nights we stayed at the Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, which was one of my favorite experiences of all time.  I loved all of the different filming sites that we visited, but this was the very best.  I could picture the von Trapp family being on the grounds while filming the movie.  I could imagine the real-life family in this fictional setting exploring the beautiful grounds and living in the majestic house.  It was well worth the money to stay there!  Its google maps location is here: Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron 


If you are going to visit Salzburg, and you love the Sound of Music, it is definitely worth staying the night here!  To learn more about Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, visit their official website here:



Top photo - my grandson and I in 2024 while visiting Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, Bottom photo - the Von Trapp family on the grounds of the Leopoldskron Palace

Upper photo 2024, Bottom photo 1964

My grandson and I enjoyed a view of the lake next to the gate that is also visible in a shot featuring Georg, Max, and Elsa on the terrace.

When we stayed at the Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, we didn't sleep in the palace itself.  You can book a suite in the palace for an average of 500 euro per night.  We opted for staying in the Meierhof building, which is right next to the palace on the grounds of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.  I slept in the "Sound of Music Room."  It is a bit more affordable, at about 250 euro per night.  We only stayed there one night, and it was totally worth it!  We explored the grounds, and also the palace, except for rooms that were locked or in use.  The Venetian Salon was of particular interest to me because it was replicated for the movie to be used in both the ballroom scene, as well as for the puppet show scene.

The Venetian Salon in 2024

My grandson and I exploring the Venetian Room

The chandelier in the Venetian Room

Mansbach White Salon

Mansbach White Salon

Mansbach White Salon

The Marble Hall, where the breakfast buffet was served, which was included in the price of our room

Marble Hall breakfast buffet

The ceiling of the Marble Hall

Marble Hall

Enjoying breakfast at the buffet in the Marble Hall




The balcony off of the Marble Hall offers a beautiful view of the lake and surrounding mountains

View from the balcony


My daughter in law took this photo of me and my grandson from the balcony

View of the back of the Leopoldskron Palace

Steps into the back of the palace

The grounds behind the palace

This swing is in a large tree next to the palace

Swinging May Cause Happiness, Use at Own Risk

The beautiful gardens behind the palace





This used to be the terrace, where Georg, Elsa, and Max enjoyed lemonade in The Sound of Music


The Meierhof Building where the smaller guest rooms are, right next to the palace

The Chapel inside the palace



This baby grand piano is located just inside the back doors of the palace

Staircase inside the palace

On the top floor of the Meierhof building - the Sound of Music room where we stayed was at the very far end of this hall, as far away from the elevator as it could get!



This Sound of Music display is on the wall in the Sound of Music room

These Sound of Music histories are on the wall in the hallway of the Meierhof Building on the top floor



My grandson with a fun photo of the Sound of Music filming that is on the wall in the Meierhof building

My one disappointment with the Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron is that there are not places to eat nearby.  I was very hungry and wanted to grab a quick dinner, but there wasn't anywhere to go.  On the first floor of the Meierhof building is a small cafe, where we ordered a couple of pieces of cake and some sandwiches.  It was a bit expensive, but it was something.
You can read about the other places we visited in the Salzburg area here:  Salzburg, Austria

Memorabilia and Information about the Sound of Music and Salzburg

As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.  This is at no additional cost to you.






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top Ten Favorite European Destinations

My Top Ten Favorite European Destinations I absolutely love visiting Europe! I have visited so many amazing places that making a list of onl...